Thursday, June 12, 2008

Hershey

It's four days into the move. We're still in a temporary place, so it just feels like I'm on vacation. With the kids, the husband, the dog and the turtle.

I continue to be amazed at how much comfort the dog is bringing me. I never considered myself a dog lover (it all dates back to the painful death of a puppy when I was little -- I vowed never to get that close to an animal again), but little Hershey's making me a believer once again. Since I quit my job, he's been by my side every moment. He's my little chocolate shadow -- my buddy who asks for nothing more than a walk and some dinner scraps (and maybe a couple of licks of red wine, when no one's looking). As I write, he's curled under my blanket, his wet nose brushing my leg every now and again to let me know he's right here. Where I need him, for as long as I need him. He's pure, unconditional love -- and I'm grateful to be spending more time with him for a while.

I still miss my margarita sisters. I even miss my job, a little. But I'm finding comfort in the simple things -- my family, my friends and my four-legged friend.

3 comments:

Scissor Girl said...

That's a sweet sentiment and blog. Dogs can make you believers when you most need to believe. I'm glad you have your little chocolate shadow. This margarita sister misses you!

Unknown said...

What a sweet little guy. Dogs are so amazing. They really do sense how their people are feeling and take care of them.

We will be drinking a toast to all of you today, including Hershey!

shari's photoblog said...

Hershey's Kiss!

....we will be calling you...so ya better make some concoction that resembles a margarita....