Sunday, June 22, 2008

Enough

I've been purging clothes in my closet and household items I've accumulated over the last 18 years of adulthood. A full 2/3 of what I've owned is now at the local Goodwill, because those things just won't fit in my new surroundings. It feels like I've lost 15 pounds. I can finally see my wardrobe choices, and it feels so good.

When I was 15, chronically tardy for school and full of teenaged rebellion, I was forced to work off my poor citizenship grades by heading out into the wilderness on a hiking expedition called "Survival." All I had with me for a full week was what I could fit into a backpack: A sleeping bag, toothbrush and a change of clothings. There were 20 or so other delinquent students who were in the same boat as me.

For the first couple of days, Survival was sheer hell: tromping through rocky and swampy terrain and building blisters on my heels and feeling the true ache of hunger was more tortuous than anything I'd ever experienced. I was utterly miserable, and I had no other choice than to trudge ahead. But by the end of the week, I'd learned how much I was capable of. I realized how much I'd taken for granted, and most important, how much I can do without and still find a way to be happy. That feeling was like nothing else in the world. Ultimately, I repeated the trip four more times before graduating high school -- voluntarily, as a student expedition leader.

Those experiences got me through a lot of tough times. It taught me about my own strength, about teamwork and determination.

That was 20 years ago, and unfortunately, I've forgotten a lot since then.

I didn't realize that the clutter of things I've accumulated has been weighing me down for years. Which is why it feels so good right now to be able to clearly separate what I need from what I think I want.

I need my sweet hubby -- my best friend for life.
I need my kiddos -- to love, nurture and just be with them is such a privilege.
I need my dear friends -- their unconditional acceptance, wildly unique/entertaining perspectives on life, and sense of humor can't ever be replaced.
I need to explore, to learn, to be open to new ways of thinking, new friends and new possibilities.
I need margaritas. (Kidding -- but not really.)

Tonight, I feel an overwhelming sense of gratitude, peace and calm. All of it is because of the people I love, not the things I've got. I wish I could bottle this bliss and pass it around for all to experience firsthand.

I'd call that potion "Enough" -- and the would always be plenty of it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You're an inspiration, no doubt. I'm amazed at how wonderful this "new beginning" is turning out to be for you and your family. I do miss you terribly, but it doesn't lessen how happy I am for you!

shari's photoblog said...

So good to hear you are at peace.

Cheers!