Friday, October 31, 2008

Ode to Meesh

In the span of two days, I've discovered my first gray hair, thrown out my back and sprained my knee. I thought this sort of thing was supposed to start happening in my 40's, but it looks like I'm just "lucky."

It probably doesn't help that I told my kids I don't feel like dressing up for Halloween. I am SO not following in the footsteps of my girlfriend, Meesh. I don't know her exact age (and I really don't care), but she's by far the youngest soul I know. She's the most energetic cheerleader at her kids' high school performances, she takes regular tap dancing lessons every week, and she shops for sexy lingerie with her co-workers. She's a risk-taker and an adventurer, and she's every bit as youthful as my 20-something friends.

She's an inspiration for so many reasons -- this is just one that's particularly meaningful to me right now. She's going through a rough patch right now with both work and family, yet she manages to push herself through even the worst of times. I'm not sure what she'd say her secret is, but I've noticed she's a stickler for going out on a limb. Trying new things, even when it's uncomfortable. Just being around her makes me feel a bit braver and a whole lot better. Since the first day I met her more than five years ago, she's become a dear friend and a mentor.

On second thought, maybe I'll don the Halloween costume after all.

No comments: